In this article, we’ll look at the reasons behind Disney’s latest innovation in the field of robotics – a cute skater robot that stole the show at SXSW 2023 during The ‘Art & Science’ of Storytelling presentation.
- Disney showcased a new skater robot during The ‘Art & Science’ of Storytelling presentation at SXSW 2023.
- The robot is designed to perform a range of tasks and is made with strong materials and mechanical scaling effects to improve its durability and flexibility.
- The robot is also designed to have an emotional connection with guests by using motion capture data to deliver performances with emotion.
- The skater robot looks like Judy Hopps from “Zootopia” and wowed the audience with its ability to stand up on its own after taking a fall.
- Disney’s latest animatronics innovations promise to offer park visitors a more immersive experience than ever before.
- It’s unclear if the skater robot will be present in the upcoming Zootopia-themed land at Shanghai Disneyland.
Disney’s Skater Robot: Pushing the Boundaries of Entertainment
Disney is no stranger to innovation, and their latest creation is no exception.
During The ‘Art & Science’ of Storytelling presentation at SXSW 2023, Disney parks chairman Josh D’Amaro, along with Imagineers Morgan Pope and Tony Dohi, showcased the company’s latest innovation in the field of robotics – a cute skater robot that stole the show.
Building Dynamic Robots with Emotional Connection
Disney’s skater robot is designed to perform a range of tasks, from somersaults to being dropped from 65 feet in the air without a safety net.
But it’s not just about the robot’s physical abilities. As Pope explained during the presentation, “robotics is all about precision, repeatability, and inhuman perfection.”
Disney is improving the robot’s durability and flexibility by using strong materials and mechanical scaling effects.
But what really sets this robot apart is its ability to connect emotionally with guests.
By utilizing motion capture data, the robot is able to deliver performances that have emotion embedded in them.
This is all part of Disney’s effort to create robots that can have an emotional connection with guests.
The Skater Robot’s Spectacular Entrance
The skater robot looks like Judy Hopps from the animated film “Zootopia” wearing roller skates and a helmet. Its spectacular entrance on stage was a sight to behold.
The robot crawled out of a wooden box and wowed the audience with its ability to stand up on its own after taking a fall.
Offering a More Immersive Experience
The skater robot from Disney is only one of the many new animatronics innovations that can provide park visitors with a more immersive experience than ever before.
During the presentation, lightsabers, new character models with high-level conversational interaction, and even an exoskeleton that allows performers to play larger-than-life fan favorites like the Hulk with greater immersion were also showcased.
Uncertainty Surrounding Skater Robot’s Future
While the Zootopia-themed land at Shanghai Disneyland is expected to open later this year, it’s unclear whether the skater robot will be present to delight children and adults alike.
Regardless of whether or not it makes an appearance, Disney’s efforts in the field of robotics are certainly impressive.
Disney is expanding the limits of what can be done in the entertainment industry by making robots that can perform various tasks with accuracy and emotion.
Leave a Reply