Vote for Change (Again)
BY Nancy Scola | Tuesday, January 13 2009
techPresident partnered up with Change.org in the early days of their Ideas for Change in America project. The goal of Ideas for Change is to not only use social-media magic to identify what people's top concerns are, but to form the alliances and relationships necessary turn those ideas from wishful thinking to concrete change. The final round of Ideas for Change in America will close on Thursday, at midnight on the west coast, so the time for you to make our voice heard is drawing to a close. Get on it!
The top 10 ideas will be presented at an event at the National Press Club on Friday, and an Obama representative will be on hand to talk about the importance of the project and the incoming administration's desire to encourage citizen participation. What, you might be asking, does it mean to "win" Ideas for Change? Great question, and I've got some details. The victorious ideas will be partnered by non-profits organizations working in the relevant field, and together with the idea generator they'll plot campaigns to lobby the Obama administration on their priority. Each campaign will be equipped with a Flip video camera, and they'll work with Participant Media (the team behind such films as "Good Night and Good Luck" and "An Inconvenient Truth") to produce documentary shorts on the evolution of their campaigns. And the campaigns will be set up with a dedicated blog on Change.org to track their progress.
There's still room for ideas floating on the cusp of the top ten to break into the winner's circle. With 59 hours left in the voting, here's the current leaderboard:
- 12,102 votes: Legalize the Medicinal and Recreational Use of Marijuana
- 10,179 votes: Free Single Payer Health Care
- 9,612 votes: End the war on drugs
- 9,499 votes: Health Freedom IS Our First Freedom
- 9,479 votes: Save Small Business From the CPSIA
- 9,163 votes: Make the grid green in 10 years
- 8,834 votes: Pass Marriage Equality Rights for LGBT Couples Nationwide
- 8,587 votes: Get FISA Right, repeal the PATRIOT Act, and restore our civil liberties
- 8,187 votes: Appoint Secretary of Peace in Department of Peace and Non-Violence
- 7, 896 votes: Pass the DREAM Act - Support Higher Education for All Students