From craigslist's Craig comes craigconnects
BY Nancy Scola | Tuesday, March 8 2011
Craig "craigslist" Newmark has just launched craigconnects. What is it? It's all of these, he writes:
- vision of getting everyone in the world together for the common good via the Internet.
- plan to support sustainable efforts; ones that are socially responsible, self-perpetuating and replicable.
- service to connect and protect organizations and individuals that can help make that vision come true.
- program that, for its first year of operation, is focused solely on the areas of support defined on this website, even though I know there are many other worthy efforts that might be worth support in the future, as craigconnects grows.
- way to make this all happen, and I know some things will work, some not, but along the way maybe others will be inspired to join in.
- channel through which my support — as a speaker, board member, social media champion, traditional media source, etc. – can be solicited. I tend to be overwhelmed with requests and craigconnects will help me manage this so I can do a lot more."
Newmark says he's commiting his next two decades to the project. The areas of particular interest at launch are "community building," "journalism integrity," "Middle East," "open & accountable government," service & volunteering, and "technology for social good." Each are fleshed out with pointers to established groups working in those spaces. Craig and the craigslist foundation has been deeply involved in a similar project called All for Good, which powers the Obama adminsitration's Serve.gov.
Check out craigconnects here.