Clearing the Cache: Creating a Memester
BY Nancy Scola | Friday, August 20 2010
- Wisconsinites are having some hashtag fun at the expense of Republican Ron Johnson, running for the U.S. Senate currently held by Russ Feingold, after Johnson reiterated his doubting of man-made climate change by arguing to a newspaper editorial board that any any such change is "far more likely that it’s just sunspot activity or just something in the geologic eons of time." Tom Giffey of the Eau Claire Leader Telegram had a suggestion: "How 'bout we start a new hastag? #blamesunspots could be useful for all." People have been running with it: My cat's breath smells like cat food. Blame sunspots. and Brett Favre is coming back. Blame sunspots and I accidentally ate my pocket change. Blame sunspots. For their part, the Wisconsin Democratic party turned the theme into a web video, set to Gnarls Barkley's "Crazy." Giffey stood back in awe of his creation: " I created a monster, or memester, or something!" (Updated, because, whoops, the state in question is, of course, Wisconsin. Pre-vacation brain. Apologies.)
- There is now, of course, a microsite: BlameSunspots.com.
- (Just in case you're wondering what a sunspot is.)
- David All details how you can make the most of Facebook's new Places.
- And here's how you turn it off.