Personal Democracy Plus Our premium content network. LEARN MORE You are not logged in. LOG IN NOW >

Why Did Mobile Money Flop In Nigeria?

BY Jessica McKenzie | Thursday, September 5 2013

Two years have passed since a mobile money service was deployed by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and it still has yet to catch on with the masses. According to a recent poll by the Nigerian research company NOI, only 6 out of 10 Nigerians know about the service (59 percent), and of that number only 13 percent are using it.

Even more discouraging is that 93 percent of the mobile money adopters are using it in conjunction with an existing bank account, and that the remaining 7 percent had a bank account, but operated it separately. That implies that the target audience—the unbanked—is missing out entirely.

Only 25 percent of the Nigerian population (170 million people) has a bank account or access to financial services; this leaves 75 percent, or roughly 510 million people, without access to either. The expectation was that mobile money could solve that problem for millions of people.

Dipo Fatokun, the Director of Banking and Payments Systems at CBN, has cited several factors that have led to low banking penetration, including proximity to financial service outlets (in the case or rural habitants), product complexity and cost of services.

This does not bode well for Nigeria's ambitious goal of being among the top 20 world economies by the year 2020. It was hoped that mobile banking would inject more participants into the country's economy, as well as decrease the cost of banking services.

Nigeria, along with countries like Kenya and Tanzania, will soon rule the world in mobile money transactions, predicted Shiletsi Makhofane, the Head of Marketing and Strategy at Ericsson, speaking at the unveiling of his company's Digital Agenda for Africa.

"Apart from competition, Nigeria and some other African countries have population advantage to leverage on, especially on the large population of the unbanked in rural communities," he added.

Unfortunately the recent NOI findings do not support his prediction, at least as it applies to Nigeria.

The success of M-Pesa in Kenya, on the other hand, cannot be denied. When techPresident wrote about that companies outstanding progress earlier this year, we mentioned a Brookings Institution report on why mobile banking has not been as successful elsewhere. They found governments might be hesitant to support mobile banking if it meant offending the powerful banking sector. That, or governments would assume the popularity of an initiative and not lay the necessary groundwork ahead of launch time.

One big difference is that a traditional bank is piloting mobile money in Nigeria, whereas in Kenya it's powered by Safaricom.

“These are two different climes,” said Emmanuel Okoegwale of Mobile Money Africa, when asked about mobile money in Nigeria versus M-Pesa in Kenya.

He elaborated:

The mobile network operator that is also the largest organization in that country is also the provider of the mobile financial services in the country mentioned. They have everything under their control from subscribers, access channels and distribution points and a primary product (airtime), which was used to cross sell the mobile money value proposition. We have also seen smaller MNOs do well in that space like Econet in Zimbabwe. In the case of Nigeria, most of the factors to scale up the deployments were external to the providers and will take some time, resources and efforts to achieve.

In other words, give them a bit more time.

Personal Democracy Media is grateful to the Omidyar Network and the UN Foundation for their generous support of techPresident's WeGov section.

News Briefs

RSS Feed today >

Brazilian President Signs Internet Bill of Rights Into Law at NetMundial

Earlier today Brazil's President Dilma Rousseff sanctioned Marco Civil, also called the Internet bill of rights, during the global Internet governance event, NetMundial, in Brazil.

GO

tuesday >

Ruck.us Reboots As a Candidate Digital Toolkit That's a Bit Too Like Democracy.com

Ruck.us launched with big ambitions and star appeal, hoping to crack the code on how to get millions of people to pool their political passions through their platform. When that ambition stalled, its founder Nathan Daschle--son of the former Senator--decided to pivot to offering political candidates an easy-to-use free web platform for organizing and fundraising. Now the new Ruck.us is out from stealth mode, entering a field already being served by competitors like NationBuilder, Salsa Labs and Democracy.com. And strangely enough, Ruck.us seems to want its early users to ask Democracy.com for help. GO

Armenian Legislators: You Can Be As Anonymous on the 'Net As You Like—Until You Can't

A proposed bill in Armenia would make it illegal for media outlets to include defamatory remarks by anonymous or fake sources, and require sites to remove libelous comments within 12 hours unless they identify the author.

GO

monday >

The Good Wife Looks for the Next Snowden and Outwits the NSA

Even as the real Edward Snowden faces questions over his motives in Russia, another side of his legacy played out for the over nine million viewers of last night's The Good Wife, which concluded its season long storyline exploring NSA surveillance. In the episode titled All Tapped Out, one young NSA worker's legal concerns lead him to becoming a whistle-blower, setting off a chain of events that allows the main character, lawyer Alicia Florrick (Julianna Margulies), and her husband, Illinois Governor Peter Florrick (Chris Noth), to turn the tables on the NSA using its own methods. GO

The Expanding Reach of China's Crowdsourced Environmental Monitoring Site, Danger Maps

Last week billionaire businessman Jack Ma, founder of the e-commerce company Alibaba, appealed to his “500 million-strong army” of consumers to help monitor water quality in China. Inexpensive testing kits sold through his company can be used to measure pH, phosphates, ammonia, and heavy metal levels, and then the data can be uploaded via smartphone to the environmental monitoring site Danger Maps. Although the initiative will push the Chinese authorities' tolerance for civic engagement and activism, Ethan Zuckerman has high hopes for “monitorial citizenship” in China.

GO

The 13 Worst Bits of Russia's Current and Maybe Future Internet Legislation

It appears that Russia is on the brink of passing still more repressive Internet regulations. A new telecommunications bill that would require popular blogs—those with 3,000 or more visits a day—to join a government registry and conform to government-mandated standards is expected to pass this week. What follows is a list of the worst bits of both proposed and existing Russian Internet law. Let us know in the comments or on Twitter if we missed anything.

GO

Transparency and Public Shaming: Pakistan Tackles Tax Evasion

In Pakistan, where only one in 200 citizens files their income tax return, authorities published a directory of taxpayers' details for the first time. Officials explained the decision as an attempt to shame defaulters into paying up.

GO

wednesday >

Facebook Seeks Approval as Financial Service in Ireland. Is the Developing World Next?

On April 13 the Financial Times reported that Facebook is only weeks away from being approved as a financial service in Ireland. Is this foray into e-money motivated by Facebook's desire to conquer the developing world before other corporate Internet giants do? Maybe.

GO

The Rise and Fall of Iran's “Blogestan”

The robust community of Iranian bloggers—sometimes nicknamed “Blogestan”—has shrunk since its heyday between 2002 – 2010. “Whither Blogestan,” a recent report from the University of Pennsylvania's Iran Media Program sought to find out how and why. The researchers performed a web crawling analysis of Blogestan, survey 165 Persian blog users, and conducted 20 interviews with influential bloggers in the Persian community. They found multiple causes of the decline in blogging, including increased social media use and interference from authorities.

GO

More