You are not logged in. LOG IN NOW >

First POST: Violations

BY Micah L. Sifry | Friday, March 6 2015


  • The State Department's review of the 55,000 emails Clinton did turn over to it may reveal if she violated security policies, Carol Leoonig, Rosalind Helderman and Ann Gearan report for the Washington Post. An unnamed Clinton aide told them, "Of the e-mails that were turned over to State…90 percent were correspondence between Clinton and agency employees using their regular government e-mail accounts, which end in The remaining 10 percent were communications between Clinton and other government officials, including some at the White House, along with an unknown number of people 'not on a government server,' the aide said."

  • The National Security Archive's Lauren Harper and Nate Jones offer a definitive analysis of the legal obligations Clinton had as Secretary of State regarding record-keeping:

    The Secretary of State was responsible for all of the Department’s records. Yet she failed to preserve even her own….The Secretary of State was charged to be the watchdog of our history; she was not. Hundreds of others at the State Department including the IT Department, its FOIA shop, and career civil servants had to have seen and known that the leader of their agency was improperly using a personal email address and –as far as the evidence has borne out– did nothing. They should have alerted the Archivist of the United States, their Inspector General, blown the whistle to congress, or leaked the misconduct to the press.

  • Since 2005, the State Department employee manual has warned employees against the routine use of personal email accounts for government work, Josh Gerstein reports for Politico.

  • ABC News' Jonathan Karl reports that Hillary Clinton was "in violation of State Dept. policy for nearly 6 years."

  • David Axelrod, a longtime close adviser to President Obama, told The New York Times' Maggie Haberman and Jonathan Martin that the Clinton email controversy was "a ball of wool that won't go away until the questions are answered."

  • Local Democratic party leaders in early primary states are nervous about the Clinton email issue, reports Gabriel Debeneditti for Politico.

  • Peter Daou, a digital strategist who has worked for the Clinton Global Initiative and the Clinton Foundation, argues on his blogthat the Clinton email brouhaha is another example of how a claque of "reporters, pundits, bloggers, politicians, strategists, opinion makers, operatives and insiders who frame the national debate" that he labels the "innerati" desperately wants to either be "in" with Hillary or cut her down to their size. He also attributes the outsized response to each Clinton "scandal" to sexism.

  • Don't expect more of a response from the Clinton camp, reports Jennifer Epstein for Bloomberg. They've decided this storm will soon pass.

  • A new study from the Brookings Institution and Google Ideas has found that ISIS has at least 46,000 Twitter accounts operating on its behalf, Rick Gladstone and Vindu Goel report for The New York Times.

  • A Canadian citizen is fighting in court after being charged with customs officials for refusing to give up his cellphone's password, Jack Julian reports for CBC News.

  • Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-TN) is proposing the "Internet Freedom Act" to overturn the FCC's new net neutrality rules, Jon Brodkin reports for ArsTechnica.

  • After speaking at the Launch Festival yesterday in San Francisco, conservative populist Glenn Beck interviewed NationBuilder CEO Jim Gilliam for his TV program.